When having a historic window, it’s always preferrable to keep the original windows without having to replace them. That’s why we offer repairs and restoration for any wooden windows, bringing them back to life and making look as good as new![+more]
Historic windows are a great way to give your home your own unique style. It is impossible to preserve the historical appearance of buildings without the restoration of the windows. Without proper care, they eventually cease to perform their direct functions, the windows do not open and close well. It is often tempting to replace problematic old windows with modern designs, but don't rush. This will destroy the historical appearance of the building, the only possible option is to restore the windows or replace them with exact copies. ARGO Glass&Windows employs the best craftsmen and restorers, they are able to return the original appearance to any historical window.
Problems, which you can face, having historic windows
Over time, even the best windows lose their pleasing view and cease to protect from the cold and noise from the street. This is mostly influenced by nature, namely the so-called bad weather, such as rain, snow, hail and others. The most common problem that can be encountered is blowing around the entire perimeter of the window. It is also faulty fittings, peeling paint on the outside and inside and a shabby, worn-out view of the window frame. However, all existing issues can be solved during the restoration of your windows.
Determine if need to be restored
Of course, not every window must be restored. This is primarily a question of the condition of your windows. It should be noted that restoration of your window will cost you an order of magnitude more than installing a new one. Depending on how badly the window is damaged, make a decision about the possibility of its restoration.
- Inspect all its parts primarily to see if there is a moisture.
- Examine the window for areas of paint failure, that can identify points of water penetration.
- Find out the number of rotten components in the frame.
- Check if your window has any cracks or other defects.
How to restore your old windows by yourself
The restoration of historical windows is a job that will require various professional tools to accurately carry out all restoration work, and this is grinding, painting, replacing fittings, seals, and so on. At the same time, the new glazing must meet modern requirements for energy saving, be reliable and safe. If you want to carry out the restoration with your own hands, you should understand that this method of restoring windows is often more labor-intensive, long-term and expensive. Follow these steps to do it perfectly:
- It is best to carry out restoration work in a separate room, since after completion of the work everything around will be contaminated with construction dust. To carry out any restoration work, first you need to remove the window sashes from the hinges.
- Further, it is necessary to remove all accessories (hinges, handles) from the window sashes. Do this very carefully so as not to damage the integrity of the wood.
- It is also necessary to remove the glazing beads using a knife. When doing this, be sure to hold the glass so that it does not fall.
- Using pliers, you need to pull out the fasteners that hold the glass. Then the glass or glass unit can be removed from the frame completely.
- Now work begins on the restoration of the surface of the window frame. The construction hair dryer and trowel make it easy to remove several layers of paint at once.
- After removing the paint, it is important to remove all decayed areas of the wood, otherwise all further work on the restoration of the frame will be absolutely useless.
- As soon as the frame is cleaned of paint and damaged areas, the wood must be sanded with sandpaper, and then cleaned from the dust that has appeared.
- Next, the window frame is primed and dried. Deep gaps and irregularities in the frame can be filled with outdoor filler. Then the frame must be dried for at least a day and it will be necessary to sand again, cleaning it from dust with a dry brush.
- Window glass must also be cleaned of dirt and paint, washed and dried. It can then be reinstalled into the frame using silicone sealant. The sealant is applied exactly along the glazing line to keep the glass clean.
- After the sealant has dried, glazing beads are nailed. In the corners, the glazing beads are trimmed at 45 degrees.
- Now you can start painting the window frame. It is necessary to apply paint in at least two coats. After the paint has dried (for this it is best to wait a couple of days), you can install the window in the opening.
- In the process of restoring the appearance of wood, you can additionally treat it with antiseptic agents. They will prevent the appearance of mold and mildew, as well as a fireproof impregnation.
- If the old window hardware is already out of order, you can replace it with a new one by integrating it into the old window frame. Finally, a seal can be installed on an already updated window, which will improve the heat and sound insulation properties of the window.
- It is important to understand that timely repairs are still not enough, it is necessary to preserve the architecture and authenticity. Restoring historic windows is a delicate piece of jewelry that requires a certain amount of knowledge and experience. And our company makes its contribution to this work, restoring old historical windows. Various restoration methods imply a huge number of subtleties and nuances that are characteristic of each individual case. When repairing and restoring work, the most important thing is to enlist the support of professionals!
Benefits of restoring historic windows with ARGO Glass&Windows
If you want to see how the beauty of ancient architecture is being revived, how graceful windows emerge from many layers of paint, contact ARGO Glass&Windows. Thanks to modern technologies, windows after restoration are getting better: sound and noise insulation increases, they perfectly retain heat in winter and cool in summer. Let's give historic buildings a second life together!
Get The Top-Quality Service with the Longest Warranty on the Market!
At Argo Glass & Windows, we offer exquisite services with the help of our professional technicians who only use premium materials and equipment.
Experienced Technicians and Caring Customer Service.
Our technicians are skilled carpenters and glazers with years of experience. They perform the works with precision and attention to detail to guarantee a perfect result.
Save money by repairing your windows, not replacing them.
Our repair solutions will not only save your budget but also make your windows look and operate as good as new ones.
Partnering with Reliable Window Brands.
Unlike other window companies who only offer replacement options, we are specialized in repairing the majority of American leading brands, using original hardware and handling projects of any complexity.
- Window Restoration
- Window Glass Repair
- Window Hardware Repair
- Window Repalcement
- Window Glass Replacement
- Patio Door Glass Replacement
- Custom Shaped Glass Replacement
- Insulated Glass Repair and Replacement
- Patio Door Repair
- Sliding Glass Door Repair
- Patio Door Hardware Repair
- Patio Door Replacement
- Commercial Glass Replacement
- Storefront Glass Replacement
- Commercial Storefront Doors
- Commercial Storefront Windows