From a simple glass pane replacement to a full storm window replacement, we offer a wide range of services for all wooden storm windows[+more]
What Are Storm Windows?
Storm windows help protect indoor spaces from weather disasters. These models are removable structures, so they absolutely do not complicate the maintenance of the main windows. They are an extra set of framed glass that goes on the interior or exterior of your home’s windows and an inexpensive alternative to replacement windows, offering homeowners a way to save on utility bills without breaking the bank. Today, manufacturers use a lot of materials for their manufacture, so that customers can always choose the best option without any problems.
Benefits of storm windows
Many people wonder if storm windows should be installed. In fact, it is a cost effective way to improve the energy efficiency of your home, which is one of the main benefits for home owners. It also provides additional insulation and a good way to maintain the temperature inside the house, as the windows prevent outside air from entering and the house will stay cooler in hot weather and warmer in winter.
The exterior of the home can benefit from the installation of storm windows. They come in several color options that allow you to choose one that will work in harmony with the existing exterior of the home. This is important for those who live in historic buildings and want to preserve and enhance the historic character of the building, as the additional sash fits the existing window and is virtually invisible. Thus, you maintain a good impression, style of appearance and uniqueness of the architectural elements.
Installation of storm windows increases the sound insulation of the house, you will be protected from street noises or loud neighbors. As an added benefit, an extra sash on the windows will be much more convenient, or if you're planning a reading nook, you'll have a good source of natural light without worrying about drafts.
The main advantage of these structures is their main function - effective protection of the interior from possible natural disasters. At the same time, storm windows have a number of additional advantages: they significantly increase the energy efficiency of the main windows; reduce the likelihood of condensation; improve sound insulation of window structures; make it difficult to break into and unauthorized entry; allow you to change the intensity of lighting; increase tightness. These models are a real godsend for those who urgently need to improve all the listed characteristics, but they do not have enough funds to replace old primary windows with new ones. In such cases, additional external or internal frames allow a relatively inexpensive solution to the problem. The design of storm windows allows them to be installed or dismantled at any time.
For those who, first of all, need to solve the issue of safety and protection from weather surprises, it is recommended to install exterior (external) storm windows. It is these models that are able to most effectively cope with the assigned tasks.
Another advantage is that storm flaps serve as an additional protective layer and prevent the penetration of dust, sun, wind, rain. This means you will reduce maintenance work and do not need to repair frequently if you have wooden frames.
How to Repair Storm Windows?
Storm windows are made according to the types of windows. The type of material determines the price and the further method of repair. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages, let's see what they are.
- Aluminum is very strong and lightweight, which is the main advantage of the material over alternatives. It is easy to maintain and is resistant to rust, elements and, due to its strength, extremely high resistance to wear. However, aluminum has very weak insulating properties and heats up and cools down very quickly.
- Wood is a good option that adds value to the home and has very good insulating properties. However, they require a lot of maintenance. The tree expands and contracts and is damaged by moisture and prolonged exposure to sunlight. In addition, it is heavyweight, making installation and seasonal removal difficult.
- Vinyl frames generally provide the advantage of being lightweight. You can find them in a variety of colors to suit your particular exterior. Although vinyl is a low maintenance material, you need to keep in mind that exposure to heat and sunlight can cause warping and discoloration, while extreme cold can lead to cracking and splitting. When choosing your storm windows, it is best to choose energy efficient glass that will give you the best energy efficiency. This glass has a special invisible coating, and the surface reflects heat, but allows light to penetrate into the house unhindered. Remember, wasting money on poor quality means you are wasting money.
The first thing to do is to disassemble the frame and remove all the glass shards. We will also make sure that all small details are removed. Some frames may be missing screws and other important parts that need to be replaced. Accordingly, they may require a little more manual work. Many new storm windows are standard sized and can be quickly fitted with a pre-cut piece of glass. Older storm windows may need custom cut parts, which can also be time consuming.
Get an professional advice you can trust in
At ARGO Glass & Windows, we pride ourselves on our first class glass products. Let the glass experts replace your storm windows and you will make sure, that your home will be protected as well as cozy and beautiful again. Timely service maintenance, adjustment, repair of fittings will allow you to maintain performance for many years.
Get The Top-Quality Service with the Longest Warranty on the Market!
At Argo Glass & Windows, we offer exquisite services with the help of our professional technicians who only use premium materials and equipment.
Experienced Technicians and Caring Customer Service.
Our technicians are skilled carpenters and glazers with years of experience. They perform the works with precision and attention to detail to guarantee a perfect result.
Save money by repairing your windows, not replacing them.
Our repair solutions will not only save your budget but also make your windows look and operate as good as new ones.
Partnering with Reliable Window Brands.
Unlike other window companies who only offer replacement options, we are specialized in repairing the majority of American leading brands, using original hardware and handling projects of any complexity.
- Window Restoration
- Window Glass Repair
- Window Hardware Repair
- Window Repalcement
- Window Glass Replacement
- Patio Door Glass Replacement
- Custom Shaped Glass Replacement
- Insulated Glass Repair and Replacement
- Patio Door Repair
- Sliding Glass Door Repair
- Patio Door Hardware Repair
- Patio Door Replacement
- Commercial Glass Replacement
- Storefront Glass Replacement
- Commercial Storefront Doors
- Commercial Storefront Windows